Well, it's that time of year again and a touchy subject for many, but a necessary evil that we have to deal with if we own property in Vancouver.

As you probably already know the City of Vancouver administered a tax on under-utilized or empty properties, this tax is called the Empty Home Tax or Vacancy Tax.

Whether you personally live in your home or not, you must make a declaration prior to the deadline to determine whether your property is subject to the tax. Only one declaration per property is required.

You should have received your 2021 Advance Tax Notice in the mail, this notice contains the Folio Number and Access Code which are required to complete your declaration online.

The declaration is very easy to complete and should take less than 5 minutes.

  • If you don’t make your declaration by the deadline, your property will be deemed vacant and subject to 1.25% of the property’s assessed 2020 taxable value
  • False declarations will result in fines up to $10,000 per day
  • If necessary, you may authorize someone else to complete your declaration on your behalf
  • Please note: The Empty Home Tax does not apply to your personal residence or properties that are rented for at least 6 months per year, however, you are still required to submit your declaration
  • The deadline to file for 2020 is February 2, 2021

Click below to complete your declaration today, this will take you to a login screen, make sure you have your Folio Number and Access Code ready


Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.